- Store all matches, lighters and lighting fluid out of the reach of children.
- Do not leave ovens, burners, or other cooking appliances on while unattended.
- Install smoke detectors and fire extinguishers on every floor of your home. Check batteries often and replace when low.
- Plan and discuss different escape routes and outdoor meeting areas with your family in case of an emergency.
- When attempting to leave a burning house, drop to your knees and crawl to avoid excessive smoke inhalation.
- If a person's clothes catch in fire, remember the rule: stop (whatever you're doing), drop (to the ground immediately) and roll (so the fire extinguishes itself).