Summer Pool Safety
- Install a four- sided, isolation pool fence with self-closing and self-latching gates. It should be at least 4 feet tall and completely separate the pool fromthe house and play area of the yard to prevent children from having direct access to the pool.
- Be sure children swimming or playing near the pool are constantly supervised by an adult.
- Never swim alone-- that goes for adults,too.
- Avoid alcohol during or just before swimming, and never drink alcohol while supervising children.
- Be sure your children know how to swim. Once they are 4 years old enroll them in swimming classes.
- Always have a phone handy around the pool, and know how to contact local emergency medical services.
- Learn CPR (cardio- pulminary resuscitation). This is particularly important for pool owners and individuals who regularly participate in water recreation.